Re: Structure and Accessibility versus SVG

Dave,
The SVG working group has attempted to design SVG along the lines you are
recommending: as an adjunct for structured text-based languages, rather
than a replacement.

If you look at the 5th paragraph in section 1.1
(http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/intro.html), you will see words that discourage
people from throwing away semantic content.

One way folks might be able to retain semantic content while still getting
all of the benefits of final-form styling is to use XSLT to translate
dynamically from a fully structured, semantically rich XML grammar into the
appropriate final-form presentation for the target media and environment
(e.g., visual media vs. aural media), and have the XSLT generate grouping,
'desc' and 'title' elements so that the final form can be as useful as
possible.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated