Re: [css-ruby] Autohiding Controls Needed

On 12/23/16 10:51 AM, Patrick Dark wrote:
 > CSS Ruby needs autohiding controls for inter-language ruby to allow autohiding
 > of non-matching strings. Some of the redundant combinations I've run into:
[...]
 > It'd be nice to have something like...
 >
 > ruby-autohide: match("", "-", "\2010", "\2011", "・", "〜") match(" ", "",
 > "・", "の") match(": ", "〜") match(" = ", "=") match(" × ", "×") match("✱",
 > "✱〜");
 >
 > ... where match() takes one argument matching ruby base content and autohides
 > ruby annotations with content matching any of the subsequent arguments.

Hi Patrick!

Sorry for the very late response; I'd put css-ruby on hold for awhile to work
on some of our other specs. But didn't lose track of your issue!

Currently thinking to address your issue in a couple ways:

     1. Define `visibility: collapse` on an annotation to have the same effect
as auto-hiding. This is filed as
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5927 ; if you have further comments
or use cases to add, that would be appreciated. :)

     2. Consider normalizing white space and/or using NFKC comparison for
auto-hiding rather than a strict codepoint comparison. This is filed as
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5995 ; again if you have any
insights to add, please let us know. (I'm not 100% sure this change would be a
good idea; there might be some cases where not auto-hiding NFKC-matching
strings would be preferred. But it seems useful in most cases.)

If using `visibility: collapse` ends up common enough, we might consider
additional controls over UA auto-hiding in a future level of CSS Ruby, but
this at least makes it possible to do it automatically via a pre-processor.

Let us know if this is a satisfactory response to your issue, or if you have
anything further you'd like us to consider!

Thanks~
~fantasai