Re: [css-ruby] Propose to make anonymous ruby text container "inherit" styles from their child

On 3/11/15 6:53 PM, Xidorn Quan wrote:
 > It is always a problem that anonymous ruby text containers are not affected by
 > styles of their children.
 >
 > In most cases, it is not necessary for authors to be aware of the existence of
 > the anonymous ruby text container. But the fact that the anonymous box
 > inherits styles from its parent could indeed cause some weired result
 > sometimes. Consider the following example:

 > In this example, authors should expect that "text2" is aligned with "text1"
 > because there is no element taller than them in the annotation. But with the
 > current spec, "text2" may be placed higher than "text1" because the anonymous
 > ruby text container inherits line-height and font-size from <ruby>, which
 > makes the line of annotation be actually 2x as tall as it is expected.
 >
 > Since styles of anonymous boxes are not inherited by their children, there is
 > no cyclic dependency.

We're currently defining the annotation container not as an inline box, but as
a sort of wrapper around the various inline annotation boxes, so the problem
of the annotation container’s box affecting annotation layout goes away.

There do remain some issues open about inheritance into anonymous annotation
children of the annotation box, though, e.g.
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5962 which discusses inheritance
into anonymous inter-annotation white space boxes.

I'm going to call this thread resolved, since we solved the case you gave :)
but if you have any further thoughts on inheritance of annotation and
annotation container styles, feel free to file on GH.

~fantasai