Re: [css-text-decor] Proposal for the 'text-emphasis-position' property syntax values

On 02/02/2017 02:10 PM, Pierre-Anthony Lemieux wrote:
> Hi fantasai et al.,
>
> I see the following issues:
>
> - the problem statement below indicates "[over/under/left/right] is
> redundant and painful for authors". Doesn't 'before'
> and 'after' solve this issue since they automatically take into
> account writing direction?

'over' and 'under' also take into account the 'writing-mode',
except they do so in a way that handles Mongolian better.

> - TTML2 defines the 'auto' and 'outside' keywords, which, presumably,
> have been found to be useful, but are not included in CSS
> text-emphasis-position. Does CSS WG believe these keywords are not
> useful and/or harmful?

The case of "only two lines" isn't really a significant consideration
in CSS-based documents. :) I think it's fine for TTML to have 'outside',
it makes more sense for their use case. I would probably suggest not
using TTML-only behavior as the default, though.

~fantasai