Re: Shorthands resetting properties they cannot set

Le 15/12/2017 à 03:59, Amelia Bellamy-Royds a écrit :

> Furthermore, I disagree that the situation Daniel is describing is
> unavoidable. Editor software could add extra logic to recognize if there
> was a border-image or not, and adjust the border styles accordingly or
> add a warning or note or some extra feature.

Only when the editor deals with computed style. Not when it deals
with specified style, for instance editing a stylesheet when the host
document is not filled yet.

A warning note? Exactly what could be added to the spec instead of our
current hack. Because resetting properties the shorthand cannot set is
some kind of a hack; shorthands were not originally imagined to work
that way.

> It doesn't make his job any easier.  But on the priority of
> constituencies, keeping things logical for stylesheet authors should
> probably rank above keeping things simple and straightforward for
> graphical editor developers. (Sorry, Daniel.)

Sorry Amelia, but that's precisely the point: web authors tell me it's
not logical.

</Daniel>