Re: [css-inline] Computed value for initial-letter property

On Wed, May 25, 2016, at 08:22 AM, fantasai wrote:
> On 05/11/2016 06:12 AM, Jeremy Chen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > According to CSS-Inline-3 section 3.3 [1], the computed value of initial-letter property is "as specified". I'm wondering if
> > it would make sense to state the computed value as "none, or a number and an integer" ?
> >
> > [1] https://drafts.csswg.org/css-inline/#sizing-drop-initials
>
> This seems a bit unnecessarily verbose given the current pattern
> for the Computed Value lines, which doesn't say anything special
> for numbers or integers because they don't involve any computation.

They do involve computation. The optional <integer> "duplicates the
first argument, floored to the nearest positive whole number" if
omitted, which means to return the value as specified, UA may need to
store extra information whether the optional integer is present or
derived from the first argument, and that information is useless
otherwise.

- Xidorn