Fwd: Re: [css-forms][css-ui] Styling native components, a proposal

Resending due to email mixup.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Jens Oliver Meiert" <jens.meiert@gmail.com>
Date: Mar 27, 2016 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: [css-forms][css-ui] Styling native components, a proposal
To: "Lea Verou" <lea@verou.me>
Cc: "W3C WWW Style" <www-style@w3.org>

This is an important topic and a great start for discussion. What I
miss is a closer look at the possible response of “take it or leave
it.”

There are not only many technical challenges to overcome on the spec
and implementation sides, but the styling of controls oftentimes (most
of the times?) leads to usability issues on the user end as well.
Furthermore it doesn’t seem clear how many developers need this for
what (many don’t), nor what the drawbacks will be for, coming back a
tiny circle, the spec and implementors.

I have voiced complexity concerns in the past [1,2], and believe
they’re valid here, too. I worry the price tag for this is too steep,
and I don’t believe in features at any cost.

I’m curious about yours and the group’s thoughts.

[1] http://meiert.com/en/blog/20121112/the-css-problem/
[2] http://meiert.com/en/blog/20150518/fing-up-standards/

--
Jens Oliver Meiert