Re: [css-text] Shaping for break-all/word-break

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:23:59 +0900
To: Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Amelia Bellamy-Royds <
amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com> wrote:

> Will there be a more complete description somewhere in the spec about how
> forced word breaks should be applied to scripts and fonts with complex text
> shaping?
>
> I would like to be able to link to such rules for SVG.  SVG
> manually-positioned text (where individual characters are given explicit
> coordinates) and text on a path can introduce forced breaks.  The language
> in SVG 1.1 with regard to these layout patterns only focused on ligatures
> (disallowing them, since you can't position two halves of a ligature
> separately), not on context-sensitive letter forms (which should still be
> used, but it wasn't explicitly specified).
>
> Implementations are very inconsistent about how they render text in these
> cases (Firefox is the only browser that currently supports legible Arabic
> text on a path).  And SVG 2's requirement to support decorative OpenType
> features such as contextual alternatives will be less effective if the
> "context" is lost when using SVG text layout. I have promised to help
> improve the spec for SVG 2, but referencing standard CSS behavior would be
> even better.

We can split the sentence from the two sections in the spec into a section
for SVG to refer to if it's desired.

But is the requirements for text-on-path the same as break-all? If you
place them on a path, they can keep the shape, but each shape are not
really connected unless the shape is a line, no? Does Gecko do something
special to connect them?

/koji