Re: The Prellipsis

From: Mats Palmgren <mats@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 19:51:02 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
On 02/13/2016 11:46, Connor Egbert wrote:
> However, many times the most important part of a line of text is not what
> is at the beginning, but what is at the end. A file path, for example. It
> is not very important that the file exists in C://Users/Documents/…

I think what you're asking for is 'text-align: unsafe right'.

FYI, we implemented that internally in Gecko more than two years ago.
We are still waiting for a trivial spec change so that we may ship it
to you.  Sigh.
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2016Jan/0278.html

> The solution lies in a simple yet highly effective keyword: ‘prellipsis’
>
> In the CSS:
>
> .filepath {
>
>     text-overflow: prellipsis;
>
> }

'text-overflow' has this feature already: 'text-overflow: ellipsis clip'
will ellipsise overflow on the left side.
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ui-3/#text-overflow

/Mats