Re: [css-text-4] Option for 'true' alignment with text-align

On 10/23/2013 15:03, L. David Baron wrote:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-align/#overflow-values describes the
> concepts of 'safe' and 'true' alignment.
>
> The 'text-align' property defaults to 'safe' alignment.  I think it
> would be useful to add an option for 'true' alignment.
> Syntactically, I think this could be done by adding an optional
> 'true' keyword that could come before or after the current value
> space of the 'text-align' property.  I think this would be a useful
> addition to css-text-4.
>
> The use case I heard was that it would be particularly useful when
> combined with 'text-overflow: ellipsis', when showing data where the
> end is more important than the start.  For example, a constrained
> space showing a phone number, where the end of the number might be
> considered more important to show than the start, could be aligned
> as 'text-align: true right; text-overflow: ellipsis' so that any
> overflowing phone numbers would have the start of the number
> overflowing (e.g., "0016177616200" being shown as "...7616200").
>
> -David

So, was this ever added to the spec?  I can't find it in css-text-3
or -4.  (I guess the keyword should be 'unsafe' now though)

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-3/#text-align-property
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-4/#alignment

FWIW, we have an implementation of this in Gecko (disabled by default).
We're (still) interested in having this feature added to the spec.

Thanks,
Mats