Re: [css-color] wider/deeper colors

On Tuesday 2016-02-16 10:34 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
> Monday, February 15, 2016, 1:07:08 AM, Florian wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 2016, at 11:16, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> >> I think we’re prefer to avoid referencing external resources for
> >> colors. What do you show before the resource is available? Transparent?
>

> > That's a real issue, and we should find some way of dealing with
> > the fall back, but I don't think we can have a solution that
> > does not allow for external color profiles.
>
> Absolutely. Otherwise we fail at one of the commonest use cases - CSS
> for print publishing, where there is an external profile for the
> target printing device but we want the same colors shown on screen.

I'm confused here.

I thought this discussion was about use of a color profile for
conversion of input colors specified in CSS.  But this requirement
sounds like you're talking about conversion of colors to the color
space of the output device.

Which one is it?

> > Otherwise we're not
> > going to be able to do color matching with images, or to have print specific color profiles
>
> Yes, color matching to wide-gamut images is the other really common
> use case (and these are likely to be in AdobeRGB, or an even wider
> space like ProPhoto)

Color matching to images sounds again like conversion of input
colors.  But I guess I don't understand what you mean by "print
specific color profiles".

-David

--
π„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂