Re: [css-color] wider/deeper colors

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 20:45:00 +0900
Cc: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

>>> Yes, exactly. I was thinking of icc rather than color, which is
>>> shorter and more descriptive (these are icc profiles).
>>
>> That sounds fine by me.
>
> Yeah, I like icc() fine.
>
> Note to Chris: per fantasai's and my general rule that functions are
> just a way of separating/naming chunks of CSS syntax and act like
> normal CSS syntaxes, let's omit commas unless necessary.  In
> particular, icc() should probably have the grammar:
>
> icc( <string> <number>+ , <alpha-value>? )

Bikesheding the function name aside, I think it would be good if the syntax could allow things like:

  color("pantone" "P 71-7 C")

which makes me think the syntax should be something like

Maybe custom properties mean that we don't need a special syntax for named colors, but I would still much prefer being able to say
  background: color("pantone" "P 71-7 C");
than
  background: var(--pantone_P_71-7_C);

 - Florian