Re: Towards a better testsuite: Metadata

Le 2016-04-10 20:56, Florian Rivoal a écrit :
>> On Apr 9, 2016, at 02:00, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I think we can simplify things down to:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE html>
>> <title>Explain *exactly* what situation you're testing
>> and what it's supposed to do</title>
>> <link rel="help" href="spec">
>> <link rel="match" href="reference">
>>
>> plus optional <meta name=flags> if needed for that test.
>> (I agree with trimming down the flags as well; many are
>> not really necessary at this point.)
>
> Works for me. The only point I am not 100% sure about is putting the
> assertion/explanation in the title, as I think people have
> expectations that a title should be a few words, rather than one or
> two full sentences, and I worry a bit that this set up will give us
> under-described tests.
>
> I think I'd prefer keeping the assertion in an assert meta, and
> effectively disregarding what goes into the title, but I don't know
> what's easier to teach and enforce:
> - Writing long descriptive titles
> - Having an assert meta
>
> But either way, this is the right amount of information. We can
> discuss a little bit about whether this is the ideal way to mark it up
> or not, but if that's that format that people will accept I'm fine
> with it.
>
>  - Florian

Regarding the <title> text.

Here's what I wrote 4 years ago:

{
The title text should not replace the assert or comments in the code.

James Hopkins had a good system. He mentioned the property name, then an
hyphen and then a few other words like other property names.

E.g.
<title>CSS Test: overflow - max-width and percentage</title>

<title>CSS Test: list-style-position - text-indent</title>
}

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2012Apr/0033.html

With that way of writing the <title> text, the title is generally short,
descriptive, clear, useful and helps searching.

<title>CSS [Specification name] Test: [main property name] - [secondary
property name]</title>

I have used consistently such way of writing the <title> text in the
last 4 years too; that way, I did not have to think much. The <title>
text only lists the main "ingredients" of the test.

We used such system when doing the writing modes tests: go to

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/

and then look at the right-most column for the title texts.

Gérard