Re: [css-grid] 'auto' track min-sizing

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Mats Palmgren <mats@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> I'm updating Gecko to the latest spec changes for 'auto' track
>> min-sizing and I noticed a difference between how items contribute
>> their size when span=1 and span>1.
>>
>> The spec text used to be the same, e.g. in this old version:
>> https://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-css-grid-1-20150917/#algo-content
>> (Compare "For auto minimums" under bullet 1, with 2.1)
>>
>> The spec text for 'auto' under 2.1 is still the same in the latest
>> version:  https://drafts.csswg.org/css-grid/#algo-content
>>
>> The text for span=1 under bullet 1 has changed substantially though,
>> and thus items now contribute sizes differently when span=1 and when
>> span>1.
>>
>> Is this difference intended?  Or did you just forget to update 2.1
>> when making the changes under bullet 1?
>
> It looks like we just forgot to update 2.1 when we updated 1.3,
> because the callout for "auto" is less obvious.  fantasai, can you
> confirm this?

Confirmed!  Updating it wasn't completely trivial, but basically we:

1. Actually dfn'd the term "min-size contribution" from the step 1 "auto" part.
2. Changed 2.1 to use "min-size contribution" rather than "minimum size".
3. Changed 2.2 and 2.3 to treat "auto" as min/max-content when the
container is sized under the appropriate constraint.
4. Changed 2.5 to use "min-size contribution" rather than "min-content
contribution".

I'm confident #2 and #3 are right.  I'm *pretty sure* #4 is is right -
I don't think we want to force the growth limit to get bigger than the
specified size if it's smaller than the min-content size.

Look good?

~TJ and fantasai