Re: [cssom-view] Range.getClientRects() when the range contains part of a grapheme cluster

On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 13:29:34 +0200, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:

> We recently figured out that the spec[1] isn't clear when the range
> contains part of a grapheme cluster. Our behavior for the case was
> recently
> changed due to some other improvements, which lead to a discussion of the
> right behavior of getClientRects() and getBoundingClientRect().
>
> Could we define cases such as:
> 1. What to do when the range contains part of a grapheme cluster.
> 2. What to do when the range contains part of a surrogate pair.

I think these two should cover the whole grapheme cluster.

> 3. What to do when the range contains part of a ligature.

Ligatures are typically (always?) split up for the purpose of text
selection, and so should probably be split up in the same way in this API.

Anyone have something more to add or have a different opinion?

> [1]
> https://drafts.csswg.org/cssom-view/#extensions-to-the-range-interface
>
> /koji

cheers