Re: [cssom-view] Expose the 'renderport' to content

On 7/04/16 10:21 PM, Simon Pieters wrote:

> The scroll event is synced with animation frames per spec. It seems
> reasonable to update the exposed renderport as a new first substep of
> https://drafts.csswg.org/cssom-view/#run-the-scroll-steps
>
> It seems to me it doesn't need to be a callback, it can just be
> exposed somewhere, and you would typically read it from a 'scroll'
> event listener?

It's possible to have the renderport change, without a scroll happening,
like when you scroll an outer container and change the visible area of a
child container.

Unless we want to send a scroll event to those children (even though
their scroll position hasn't changed), I think we need a new event that
gets sent at the right times.

I think it's also preferable to have to have an event, rather than a
property, since users will be tempted to read it at times other than
from a 'scroll' event where it is potentially out of date and misleading.

- Matt