Re: Towards a better testsuite

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 12:20 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing your experience. Based on that, it sounds like
> the biggest blocker for you, more than the metadata requirements
> is the build system.
>
> I don't think there's anybody left defending it, so maybe we should just get started
> with that, then remove the parts of metadata everybody agrees are overkill, and
> leave the more controvertial rest up for later. Maybe it still won't be enough, maybe
> it will be, but at least we'll have made a concrete step in the right direction.

Yes, I believe that solving the build system issue would dramatically
lower the burden for Servo developers to upstream more tests.

I don't personally have a strong opinion on the metadata requirements
and am happy to just see how that works out. It might be easier for us
than other engine developers, as Geoffrey, ms2ger, and several others
are willing to do the work to help the rest of us properly format
tests for upstreaming (as seen from our w-p-t experiences).

Thanks,
- Lars