Re: [css-logical-properties] the 'inline-{start,end}' values for 'float' and 'clear'

On 10/05/2015 10:21 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 5/10/15 14:25, Koji Ishii wrote:
>>
>> I'm personally in mild preference to use 'start' and 'end' for inline
>> regardless of 1 or 2 dimensional. That's another way not to regret,
>> isn't that?
>
> For 2-dimensional properties, however, it may be unclear to authors
> whether 'start' and 'end' refer to the inline or block direction.
>
> In the case of 'text-align', which already accepts 'start' and 'end'
> values, it's pretty clear that only the inline direction is relevant.
> But I think it's much less obvious that 'float: start' would necessarily
> refer to inline-start. We don't currently have block-direction options
> for 'float', but in principle they seem like a reasonable possibility.
>
> If we use 'start' and 'end' now, and later extend 'float' to two
> dimensions, I could see us ending up with 'float: start | end  |
> block-start | block-end', which seems unfortunate. ISTM that using
> the inline-prefixed names from the beginning is preferable. Or would
> you suggest some entirely different names for the block-direction
> analogs of inline 'start' and 'end'?

I think this makes sense. I'll note though, that for <position>, I
ended up concluding that unprefixed keywords and requiring a particular
order was much cleaner: easier to read and author.
   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-backgrounds-4/#the-background-position

   https://hg.csswg.org/drafts/raw-file/5bce7fe3a109/css-backgrounds-4/Overview.html#the-background-position
   vs.
   https://hg.csswg.org/drafts/raw-file/e7268601313e/css-backgrounds-4/Overview.html#the-background-position