Re: [css-writing-modes] Propose to weaken upright rendering of horizontal-only scripts

On 05/19/2015 05:42 AM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> Talked with fantasai, and allow me to clarify the intention better.
>
> I'm not asking UAs choose to fallback in sideways arbitrarily, but I
> suppose there are some characters that we really don't know how to
> render in upright. Unicode Regional Indicator Symbol Letter for
> instance.
>
> So I'd like the spec allow UA not to render in upright. fantasai told
> me that, even if the spec says "MUST", such behaviors could be
> accepted by directors. That solves my primary concern, but then it
> sounds like it's "SHOULD" to me.
>
> Note that I tested Blink, WebKit, and Trident, all of them have some
> characters they cannot render as of today. Gecko, unfortunately, my
> test script did not work, I'll see when it's fixed.

I'm not sure what the problem is with rendering such characters upright.
It can look like the character in isolation in a horizontal paragraph,
and that's fine. It does not have to be correct, as long as it's *at
least* as correct as rendering the extended grapheme cluster as a single
unit.

~fantasai