Re: [css-flexbox] intrinsic sizing

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 16:28:39 -0700
To: Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Christian Biesinger
<cbiesinger@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:26 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Christian Biesinger
>> <cbiesinger@google.com> wrote:

>>> Or maybe flex basis should say "flex base size"...?
>>
>> "flex basis" is just the 'flex-basis', or the 'width'/'height'.  "flex
>> base size" is the one more likely to require layout; it's the value
>> calculated by 9.2.3 and then clamped to get the hypothetical main
>> size.
>
> But how would you calculate "flex-basis: content" here without layout?

Easily - that's the keyword that means "act like width:auto", which is
the same as "fill".

(And how would you calculate the flex base size without layout, is the
flex basis requires layout? The flex base size uses the flex basis in
its calculation!)