Re: [css-align][css-flexbox] Should 'justify-content: stretch' compute to or behave like 'start'?

On 05/05/2015 03:40 PM, Daniel Holbert wrote:
> On 05/05/2015 02:37 PM, fantasai wrote:
>> This is a good point. I think the question boils down to, should
>> 'justify-content: stretch' compute to 'start' on flex containers,
>> or should it compute to itself but behave like 'start'? I'm not
>> sure what the right convention is here.
>
> When one property can't compute its value without inspecting another
> property's computed value ("display" in this case), that adds complexity
> to implementations.
>
> All things being equal, I'd suggest erring on the side of simplicity
> (avoiding inter-property dependencies) -- so, I'd lean towards your
> second option, i.e. having stretch compute to itself, and simply
> interpret the value differently for flex containers.

We currently have the 'auto' values in css-align compute differently
depending on the layout mode... that would be an argument for changing
that behavior, too?

The initial value 'auto' computes to 'stretch' or 'start' depending on
whether the box is a flex item, grid item, in-flow block, abspos block,
etc. This gets us back-compatible behavior in all layout modes. If we
change that, it'll break getComputedValue on the alignment properties'
initial values in flexbox. (Not sure how much that matters, though.)

~fantasai