Re: [css-cascade-4][css3-ui] naming collision: the "default" value

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 11:35:24 -0700
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Bruno Racineux <bruno@hexanet.net>

> On May 1, 2015, at 3:36 PM, Bruno Racineux <bruno@hexanet.net> wrote:
>
> If the feature resets to the previous origin. Why not call it like it is:
> 'origin'? Or 'reset-origin'. But 'reset' doesn't have much value either.

IMO, 'origin' adds to the confusion, because it makes me wonder, "what origin"? It doesn't make it more clear. People shouldn't have to read the spec in order to get the very general idea of what it does, and 'origin' sounds like something to do with the meaning of "origin" in same origin policies. Which is a very different thing. The use of "origin" in the spec is not a commonly known meaning in css, AFAIK.