Re: [css-counter-styles] emdash

On 03/18/2015 12:32 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 4:09 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
>> On 18/03/15 11:40, Xidorn Quan wrote:
>>>
>>> This is easy to implement for us (Gecko). The questions are, is that
>>> spec stable enough to be implemented? And even we implement this, will
>>> other UAs follow? If they don't follow, whatever the spec says, Daniel's
>>> problem will still be there.
>>
>> As a whole, the CSS Lists level 3 spec might not be stable enough. (For
>> example, I don’t know how much review the layout algorithm of `position:
>> marker` has gotten.) However, this specific feature (list-style-type:
>> <string>) is so straightforward that I don’t see it changing in the future.
>
> Yes.  The layout/::marker parts are still unstable, but
> list-style-type:<string> is fine.
>
>> More generally, we often have multiple features in a given document that are
>> relatively independent. It might be useful to talk about or even have
>> in-spec markers for stability of individual sections.
>
> Yeah.

I agree that list-style-type: <string> is stable. We should probably trim
down the Lists spec and publish with the stable bits. Started a thread on
that in https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Mar/0363.html

(Also, if we do want to add a keyword, it should be mdash, not emdash,
since that's what the HTML entity is.)

~fantasai