Re: [css-text] text-transform:capitalize and Unicode digraphs

From: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 22:18:51 +0000
To: Patrick Dark <www-style.at.w3.org@patrick.dark.name>
On 15/3/15 21:45, Patrick Dark wrote:
> On 3/15/2015 1:50 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> Although the spec/WebKit/Blink behavior looks "better" for this
>> (artificial) example, I would argue that Gecko's behavior is
>> preferable. While the "DZa" result here does look poor, it makes little
>> sense for an author to enter text in this form in the first place. In
>> contrast, consider what happens if text that is originally entered as
>> all-uppercase is subject to text-transform:capitalize:
>>
>>   data:text/html;charset=utf-8,<div
>> style="text-transform:capitalize">LJUBLJANA
>>
>> Here, WebKit and Blink will render the word as "LjUBLJANA", while Gecko
>> gives the (better) result "LJUBLJANA".
>
> This example seems contrived. In the improved case (LJUBLJANA), you can
> get the same result by not using the property at all.

Yes, clearly it wouldn't make much sense to write such an example directly.

But I think it's reasonable to suppose that sites might be applying
text-transform:capitalize to elements such as headlines that are being
pulled from external data sources, and that some of that external data
-- not under the control of the designer writing the CSS for the
aggregating site -- might at times be provided in all-caps.

JK