Re: [css-text] text-transform:capitalize and Unicode digraphs

On 3/15/2015 1:50 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> Although the spec/WebKit/Blink behavior looks "better" for this (artificial) example, I would argue that Gecko's behavior is preferable. While the "DZa" result here does look poor, it makes little sense for an author to enter text in this form in the first place. In contrast, consider what happens if text that is originally entered as all-uppercase is subject to text-transform:capitalize:
>
>   data:text/html;charset=utf-8,<div style="text-transform:capitalize">LJUBLJANA
>
> Here, WebKit and Blink will render the word as "LjUBLJANA", while Gecko gives the (better) result "LJUBLJANA".

This example seems contrived. In the improved case (LJUBLJANA), you can get the same result by not using the property at all.

On 3/15/2015 1:50 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> However, given that text-transform:capitalize is likely to remain a rather crude instrument -- it doesn't "know" about language-specific stop lists of small words that should not be capitalized, for example -- I don't think the additional implementation cost of making it context-dependent is worthwhile.
>
> Feedback/comments welcomed....

I can't think of a single case where text-transform: capitalize makes sense. Given that, I think the capitalize value should be altogether removed from the CSS3 Text module spec, which would make this issue moot.