Re: Domain selectors

From: Jens Oliver Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 17:29:34 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, W3C WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>
> What Marat said. Don't try to reuse existing syntaxes for incompatible
> things; it's just confusing for everyone.  For the same reason, the
> pseudo-element approach is out, unless there's *actually some
> pseudo-element in the page that it corresponds to*.
>
> @-rules are how we introduce arbitrary new block-based syntax.  Other
> than the exact characters used, there is literally no difference
> between "@document domain("foo") { h1 { color: red; } }" and
> "[host="foo"] h1 { color: red; }"; the two are expressing identical
> semantics, so there's no actual benefit in reaching for the one that
> misuses the syntax.

If I was as upset I’d point out that “other than the exact characters
used there is no difference” is quite a statement, one that you alone
has probably ripped apart a good number of times :)

--
Jens Oliver Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/

✎ The Little Book of HTML/CSS Frameworks: http://meiert.com/frameworks