Re: [CSSWG] [css-cascade] CSS Cascading and Inheritance: Updated L3 CR, FPWD L4

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 12:23:15 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 4:26 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> The problem with ua-default or any such thing is that it's only
> correct terminology for the effect when it's used in a user-level
> style sheet. If it's used in a author- or user-level style sheet,
> it does not return the value to the UA default value.

I am 100% okay with ua-default being "incorrect" in author-level style
sheets.  In practice, it *is* correct 99+% of the time, and when it's
not, *the distinction doesn't matter*.  As far as the author is
concerned, the user and UA style sheets are part of the same thing -
"the styles underneath me".

We're never going to provide a value to authors that *does*
distinguish between user and UA (it would be user-hostile), so it
doesn't actually matter that this is technically pointing to the wrong
place in the origin hierarchy.

~TJ