Re: [css-backgrounds] border-image with an SVG resource that has no intrinsic size

From: David Vest <davve@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:35:54 +0200
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]
> and then play around with the dimensions of ‘.big’.

Added as simple interactive demo:

http://miniac.gothenburg.osa/gists/svg-in-border-image-5.html#no-intrinsic-relative-mixed

where I've also added some other examples that have come up.

>> Maybe what we already have in the spec is the best we can do.
>
> I think it is pretty good, actually. The ability to use that power to make horrible looking test cases is not proof of its uselessness.

I think we're mostly in agreement by now. We probably need more input
from WebKit or Firefox about their way of thinking. I'd be fine
leaving the spec as is and try to get implementations to match, even
on the nonsensical cases.

David