css-grid] feedback

From: Michael Trilford <michael@boost.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 01:41:28 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
grid-column: 1 / 2 and grid-row: 1 / 2 feedback.

I'm still torn on this, when designing, I never refer to my
vertical columns as grid lines. They are columns 1 - 12 for example.

When I span across multiple columns in my grid, I usually reference class
name that uses a fraction. .col-2-3

In a two column layout of a 4 column grid, one column 1 may span 3 and the
other column will span 1. I would reference that as .col-3-4 & .col-1-4.

Maybe on the parent we can enable:

// Four Column Grid Setup
grid-template-column: repeat(4, 24.25% 1%);
// Visually two columns used in total
grid-column-flow: 3/4 , 1/4;

1. We the CSS markup to visually show the columns used. Seems like that is
a trend with CSS Grid layout.

2. Similar to Flexbox, we can have an override on the children if needed.

I also think grid template should be like this:

grid-template-column: 4 / 24.25% / 1%;