Re: [CSSWG][css-shapes] CSS Shapes Level 1 Candidate Recommendation

> On Jul 23, 2015, at 11:21 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 6:32 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It's a perfectly cromulent word, from the well-known aphorism "A noble
>>> spirit embiggens the smallest man".
>>
>> That is from ¡°The Simpsons¡±. Is that our standard? If a cartoon uses a word, it is good enough for us? I thought the specs were supposed to be written in real English, not in made-up TV show language. Maybe we should have a lang=¡°tv¡± attribute on our HTML.
>
> That's all real English; there's no English Authority defining which
> words are in and which are out.

Well "The Simpsons" certainly isn't the authority. Common usage is, and this seems to be a word almost exclusive to The Simpsons. And completely unnecessary, since "expand" conveys the meaning better. It isn't getting bigger in the way that scaling makes something bigger, it is just offsetting the path outwards.

> Embiggening is clear even to people
> who haven't heard the word before (unlike cromulent).

I don't know if that is true for all, including all non-native English speakers.

> Chill,
> it's a
> mildly amusing in-joke in a section title that doesn't detract or
> distract from the spec.

I'm chill enough, thank you, and disagree that it is amusing and doesn't detract or distract.