Re: [css-flexbox] [css-align] inconsistent computed value for align-self: auto

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 11:08 AM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 07/23/2015 11:47 AM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I noticed a difference in the definition of the computed value for
>> align-self: auto
>>
>> Flexbox says:
>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#align-items-property
>> Computed value: auto computes to parent’s align-items value; otherwise
>> as specified
>>
>> Align says:
>> The auto keyword computes to itself on absolutely-positioned elements
>> [...]
>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#justify-self-property (referenced
>> by align-self:
>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#align-self-property )
>>
>> This difference matters, because that means that for flexbox,
>> align-self will compute to stretch by default and therefore stretch an
>> abspos item. Whereas for align, it will compute to auto and not
>> stretch.
>>
>> Could we change flexbox to match align?
>

> An abspos item isn't really a flex item... but anyway, css-align
> supersedes Flexbox. However, if you don't support the application of
> alignment properties to absposes (as defined in css-align), then the
> computed value doesn't really matter at all.
>
> (We need people to review the css-align definition of how alignment
> properties apply to abspos. Nobody has except me and Tab, and that's
> a bit scary.)

As Elika says, Align supercedes Flexbox.  If you're implementing
Flexbox's definition of the property, it doesn't apply to abspos.  If
it does, you're implementing Align's version, so it should have
Align's initial value.

This is only problematic if you're mixing-and-matching in an inconsistent way.

(And yeah, we need review of Align applied to abspos.)