Re: [css-flexbox] [css-align] inconsistent computed value for align-self: auto

On 07/23/2015 11:47 AM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I noticed a difference in the definition of the computed value for
> align-self: auto
>
> Flexbox says:
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox/#align-items-property
> Computed value: auto computes to parent’s align-items value; otherwise
> as specified
>
> Align says:
> The auto keyword computes to itself on absolutely-positioned elements [...]
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#justify-self-property (referenced
> by align-self:
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#align-self-property )
>
> This difference matters, because that means that for flexbox,
> align-self will compute to stretch by default and therefore stretch an
> abspos item. Whereas for align, it will compute to auto and not
> stretch.
>
> Could we change flexbox to match align?

An abspos item isn't really a flex item... but anyway, css-align
supersedes Flexbox. However, if you don't support the application of
alignment properties to absposes (as defined in css-align), then the
computed value doesn't really matter at all.

(We need people to review the css-align definition of how alignment
properties apply to abspos. Nobody has except me and Tab, and that's
a bit scary.)

~fantasai