Re: [css-page] Editorial issues regarding @page descriptors

On Wed, Jul 01, 2015 at 02:41:56PM +0200, Simon Sapin wrote:
> On 01/07/15 11:11, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
> >The @page rule defines several descriptors ('size', 'marks', 'bleed',
> >maybe others I missed), which are called 'property' throughout the text.
> >These should be renamed to 'descriptor' for clarification and consistency.
>
> This has been discussed before:
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Mar/0387.html
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Mar/0498.html
>
> Unfortunately it seems that conversation died out without reaching a
> conclusion.
>
> I argued these are, in fact, properties.

You gave arguments that cases like 'margin-top' benefit from being considered
a property.  What if 'margin-top' were considered a property, while 'bleed'
were considered a descriptor ?

(I'm not actually advocating this yet, I'm just making it more explicit what
options are being discussed.)

Simon & Tab both point out that we could have descriptors still inherit, but
I wouldn't mind losing the ability to inherit 'bleed' etc. from the root;
whereas font properties are quite useful to inherit from root to margin boxes.

Tab: What did you mean by "The page becomes an element in the element tree" ?
E.g. why did you say so, and where should it go in the element tree relative
to source-document elements?

pjrm.