Re: [css-writing-modes-3] Proposal to modify how inline-block with non-empty block descendants are baseline-aligned

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 14:51:46 +0900
To: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Let me try to summarize the issue and your proposal after clarifying
my understanding.

The current spec defines[1]:
> If an atomic inline (such as an inline-block, inline-table,
> or replaced inline element) is not capable of providing
> its own baseline information, then the UA synthesizes
> a baseline table

So my reading of the spec is that when an atomic inline *can* provide
its own baseline information, the central of the baseline is used in
vertical flow. Blink/WebKit follows this understanding.

Your proposal is to change to always synthesize a baseline table, even
when an atomic inline can provide its own baseline information. Gecko
currently follow this interpretation.

Gérard, is this an accurate summary?

My preference is not to change, believing it is the original
intention, but I'll ask WG.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes-3/#replaced-baselines

/koji