Re: [css-writing-modes-3] Proposal to modify how inline-block with non-empty block descendants are baseline-aligned

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 06:01:35 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
On 07/01/2015 01:51 AM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> Let me try to summarize the issue and your proposal after clarifying
> my understanding.
>
> The current spec defines[1]:
>> If an atomic inline (such as an inline-block, inline-table,
>> or replaced inline element) is not capable of providing
>> its own baseline information, then the UA synthesizes
>> a baseline table
>
> So my reading of the spec is that when an atomic inline *can* provide
> its own baseline information, the central of the baseline is used in
> vertical flow. Blink/WebKit follows this understanding.
>
> Your proposal is to change to always synthesize a baseline table, even
> when an atomic inline can provide its own baseline information. Gecko
> currently follow this interpretation.
>
> GĂ©rard, is this an accurate summary?
>
> My preference is not to change, believing it is the original
> intention, but I'll ask WG.

Good summary. I believe the spec is as intended, and the question
in my mind would be about use cases. But since you answered in
[1] that both cases exist, I think the spec should not change,
and the Blink/Webkit behavior is correct.

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Jun/0324.html

~fantasai