Re: [css-text] css letter-spacing should affect tab stops

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 12:05 PM, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com> wrote:
> I missed the beginning of this conversation under a different subject line,
> so forgive me if I am not understanding correctly. I just want to register
> that a traditional typographic perspective would view tabs as something that
> applies at a level above letterspacing, i.e. at the page or text block
> level, and should be independent of relationships within strings of
> tab-offset characters. So if I have two lines of text involving tabs, I
> would expect the tab positions to align regardless of whatever mix of
> letter-spaced or non-letterspaced strings occur within those lines.

Yes, that's definitely being preserved.  The context you're missing is
that if you use mono-space text, and letter-spacing is used to push
the characters a little further apart, everything works nicely and
stays on a character grid except for tabs, currently.  We plan to fix
this, by making the value of letter-spacing on a block element affect
the size of tabs when 'tab-size' is an integer (indicating that it's a
number of space characters wide).