Re: [css-break][css-overflow-3][css-regions][css4-ui] generalizing 'region-fragment' into a fragmentation primitive: a first step to solving multi-line ellipsis

On 1/20/15, 11:31 PM, "Florian Rivoal" <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:

>>> Pick the first one of the selected set in DOM order. If that's
>>>yourself,
>>> apply the usual loop-detection safety valve and don't flow (i.e.
>>> 'fragmentation'computes to 'none' or maybe 'break').
>>
>> So if my markup has multiple paragraphs, and style says:
>>
>> p { fragmentation:break insert-into(#id) }
>>
>> Only the first paragraph’s content would fragment and run through the
>>#id
>> box? That seems bad to me.
>
>Ah, sorry, misread you. "Pick the first in document order" was meant for
>the selector used in insert-into().
>
>In the case you highlight, it would insert from every one of the p
>elements, in document orders. So in this case, assuming #id is empty,
>this would be equivalent to
>
>p {flow-into: foo;}
>#id {flow-from: foo;}

If it actually created an anonymous named flow out of all the paragraph
content, I’d expect something more like:

p {flow-into: foo content;}
p {flow-from: foo;}
#id {flow-from: foo;}

Where all of the paragraph boxes become part of the region chain as well.

I’m still skeptical, because this seems like a lot of freight to add to a
simple, useful property. I’d much rather keep the property focused on
whether content stops at a fragmentation break or overflows as normal.

Thanks,

Alan