Re: [css-grid] Capping the size of grids?

On 08/28/2014 03:08 AM, Sergio Villar Senin wrote:

> Thanks Tab for considering this. So now that I'm implementing it I'd
> like to be sure that we're on the same page, because I personally find
> the current wording a bit confusing (for example "Attempting to size an
> item to a span past the maximum size must instead size it with a span
> equal to the maximum size").
>
> Basically I fail to understand if we prefer to preserve positions or
> spans. Provided we have an item that is placed either partially or
> completely out of the grid limits should we:
>
> a) respect positioning, narrowing the item (reducing span) as needed
> b) respect span, moving the item as needed
>
> (in both cases the corresponding edge is placed at the maximum index)

The latest text reads:

   # Since memory is not infinite, UAs may clamp the the possible size
   # of the grid to within a UA-defined limit, dropping all lines
   # outside that limit. If a grid item spans outside this limit, its
   # span must be clamped to the last line of the limited grid. If a
   # grid item is placed outside this limit, its span must be truncated
   # to 1 and the item repositioned into the last grid track on that
   # side of the grid.

Another option would be, if a repeat() function were involved, to clamp
the number of repetitions rather than clamping the resulting explicit
grid. Imho this isn't worth the additional complexity, but I'm open to
other opinions.

Let us know what you think!

~fantasai