Clarifying elementsFromPoint and pointer-events: none

From: Philip Rogers <pdr@google.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 13:40:50 -0800
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>, David Bokan <bokan@google.com>
www-style,

The elementsFromPoint (plural) spec [1] is ambiguous about whether elements
with pointer-events: none should be returned. Can we update the spec to
explicitly allow pointer-events: none elements?

I think it makes sense to return all elements and have this be a
general-purpose API. I spoke with a front-end developer on the polymer team
and they agreed because typical usecases already need to filter out
unwanted elements. The IE team may have come to the same conclusion as
msElementsFromPoint also includes pointer-events: none elements.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/cssom-view/#extensions-to-the-document-interface