Re: [css-ruby] Auto value of ruby-position

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 22:55:03 -0500
To: Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 02/20/2015 08:59 PM, Xidorn Quan wrote:

> I'm a little concerned about this syntax, because "ruby-position" is currently a property applied to <rtc>. The "alternate"
> doesn't seem like something should be there. The value is effectively only "over", "under", and "inter-character" for
> ruby-position. "alternate" seems more likely to be something applied on <ruby>s.
>
> Even if we want this syntax, I guess we probably shouldn't use "||" here if the "over | under" is for the first level.
> Probably "[ over | under ] [ alternate ]?" is better.

It applies to <rtc>, but it inherits, so it could very well have
been specified on <ruby> or even <html>.

Also, we try to avoid requiring particular order of keywords when
parsing is ambiguous.

I think in most cases people can just write:
   ruby-position: alternate;
but if they want it to start on a different side, then
   ruby-position: under alternate;

Open to other ideas, though.

~fantasai