Re: [css-inline] Baseline Alignment Properties

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 19:48:58 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
On 02/20/2015 06:35 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:

>> On Feb 20, 2015, at 1:59 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>
>> I put in a rough draft of the dominant-baseline, alignment-baseline,
>> and baseline-shift properties from SVG into CSS Inline:
>>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-inline/#line-height
>>
>> Comments welcome.
>>
>> ~fantasai
>
> 'Baseline-shift: baseline' seems odd and unnecessary. 'Baseline-shift: 0' should be enough, and reads better. Then say somewhere that 'vertical-align:baseline' is equal to 'vertical-align:baseline 0'. I think that is more clear than explaining 'vertical-align:baseline baseline'.
>
> Even if SVG is different in this regard, it shouldn't impact SVG much to have it this way in CSS.

Good catch. I really want to trim down the silly things we're
inheriting from SVG inasmuch as possible, and I think this is
also one of the things we can cut out.

I changed the initial value to zero and added a line allowing SVG
UAs to support ''baseline'' as computing to 0 if they need to. If
we hear back it's not needed, we can remove it.

~fantasai