Re: [css-flexbox] Using "preferred size" in initial layout, rather than max-content size

On 08/27/2014 03:28 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> In Flexbox layout step 2.E (section 9.2), we do layout on the flex
> items, treating "auto" as max-content.  I think we actually want to
> treat it as "preferred size".  If you've got a multicol flex item with
> a specified column size and count, you want to return the product of
> those properties, not the max-content size of the multicol.
>
> This has no effect on most things, since most layout modes don't have
> a preferred size, so it defaults to max-content instead.

We discussed this in
   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Jan/0486.html
and decided to name the preferred size concept as "max-content",
since this is what we'll want Sizing and Grid's "max-content" keyword
to map to also. This issue is now dealt with in Sizing.

~fantasai