Re: [css-flexbox] Should "max-width" influence the resolved flex base size? (from default "flex-basis:auto;width:auto")

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 23:23:03 -0800
To: Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 02/18/2015 04:43 PM, Greg Whitworth wrote:
> In our current implementation we render the same as firefox

Good to know, thanks.

> and I would don't think it would be intuitive if we actually want
> to allow width to influence flex-basis but not min and max width.
> I think the wording should stay as is.

...but actually, we *don't* allow width to influence the flex-basis in
this case.

The section of the algorithm I'm talking about (9.2, step 3, part E) says:
  # [...] lay out the item into the available space using its
  # used flex basis *in place of its main size*, treating
  # a value of content as max-content.
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox-1/#algo-main-item

The "in place of its main size" quote here means that the "width"
property is *ignored* here, if you had e.g. "flex-basis:content; width:
100px". That's the goal.  But, the language does not specify whether
*min/max-width* should be applied when doing this content measurement. I
think they should not be applied, since they have an explicit effect
later in the layout algorithm; but Blink's implementation disagrees.

Given this, do you agree that the wording needs clarification, Greg?

~Daniel