Re: [cssom] Serializing the ">>" combinator

On 2/12/15 1:22 AM, Simon Pieters wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 09:14:26 +0400, Benjamin Poulain
> <benjamin@webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The serialization specification does not mention ">>" from CSS
>> Selectors level 4:
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom/#serializing-selectors &&
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors-4/#descendant-combinators
>>
>> What we have done in WebKit is serialize ">>" like the other
>> non-space combinators (e.g. "foo>>bar" serialize to "foo >> bar").
>>
>> An other option is to canonicalize every descendant combinator to the
>> space character.
>
> I've specified it to serialize as a space, for two reasons:
I am a bit surprised by this. I had the impression the WG favored ">>"
over the space.
Plus web developers tend to report bugs when a serialized value differs
significantly from the original selector.

> * It is compatible with legacy UAs that support space but not >>
How would legacy UI end up with a parsed ">>" in the first place?