[css-text-decor] text-underline-position: under question

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 11:13:25 -0600
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
The current draft of the spec for text-underline-position:under says:

"The underline is positioned under the element’s text content."

Shouldn't the behavior be based off text-decoration-skip's value rather than only including text content? I would think that if text-decoration-skip is set to none that you would want text-underline-position:under to be underneath replaced content like images as well as text.

Similarly if the text-decoration-skip value is set to "spaces", and one of the skipped spaces happens to be lower than everything else (contrived I know), I would not expect text-underline-position:under to include the space when considering where the bottom of the text content is.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)