Re: Shouldn't justify-content be renamed to justify-items?

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 16:59:08 -0800
To: no-cheating@autistici.org, www-style@w3.org
message-id: <54DBFADC.1030207@mozilla.com>
On 02/11/2015 05:20 AM, ... wrote:
> I can't see any
> connection between justify-content and align-content, though their names
> would suggest there is some.

There is indeed a strong connection between these properties, as suggested by their names.

The graphics under the property-descriptions may help, too -- compare the figures at the bottom of these sections (Figure 9 and Figure 11):
 http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#justify-content-property
 http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#align-content-property

"align-items" (which works via influencing "align-self") is somewhat similar, but it's really about "how do I position this **one <thing>** in this axis" -- not N <things>. So, it has a different set of values. Notably, it doesn't take "space-around" / "space-between" (since when there's only one thing, "space-around" is just "center", and there's no concept of "between" at all).

Hopefully that clears things up.

~Daniel