Re: The :min-width/:max-width pseudo-classes

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 4:03 AM, Lucas Wiener <lucas@wiener.se> wrote:
>> Hey Lucas,
>
>> I suggest following the Responsive Issues Community Group
>> (http://ricg.io/) for up to date information and following the RICG mailing
>> list (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-respimg/), you can review
>> recent discussions there. You can also jump onto http://irc.w3.org/ and go
>> to channel #respimg if you have any specific questions, but it seems like
>> most of the EQ progress is still at the use case and initial planning stage
>> (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-respimg/2014Dec/0000.html) .
>
> Hi Greg and thank you for your answer. The links you provided are great.
> However, I am looking for a bit more technical resources that can help me
> understand why exactly the proposed solution of element queries is
> infeasible to implement. Sorry, I should have been more clear about this.
>
> From what I get of this mail conversation it is agreed that a special
> viewport HTML element needs to exist, for rendering engines to be able to
> know about the separate viewport before doing the layout pass. Also, element
> queries should be limited to nearest viewport ancestors, in order to be able
> to layout the subtrees that the viewports create in parallel. So the only
> problem left is that selectors can depend on layout.

[snip]
> Does that mean that this is a feasible thing to implement? I know Tab is
> working with coming up with use cases for element queries but is there
> anyone else pushing this forward?

As Greg said, the Responsive Issues CG is the one working on Element
Queries, so discussing it over there would be most appropriate.

For more technical information, check out the spec and Issues at
<https://github.com/ResponsiveImagesCG/eq-usecases>.