Re: [cssom-view] Which APIs should be 'double' vs. 'long'

From: Emil A Eklund <eae@chromium.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 10:50:20 -0800
To: Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org>
Cc: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Yufeng Shen <miletus@chromium.org>, David Bokan <bokan@chromium.org>, Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 10:33 PM, Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org> wrote:
> Thanks Emil.
>
> It doesn't feel to me (absent use cases) that this particular scenario is
> important enough to risk web compat pain for, or to justify some sort of
> crazy language in the spec (for special casing scroll-to-end).  Client code
> can already attempt to scroll to 'scrollHeight - clientHeight + 1' (or just
> a large constant) to reliably get to the end of a scroller, right?  Maybe
> that's good enough.  Or maybe we should just bite the bullet and add
> subpixel-aware versions of the scrollHeight/Width APIs (like
> getBoundingClientRect).

Correct. Having scrollTop/Left have subpixel precision without having
the same for scrollWidth/Height seems really inconsistent and
unfortunate though. I really do think that we need to have some way to
get the precise scrollable size, be that though changing
scorllWidth/Height or by adding a new getScrollableSize/Rect API.