Re: [CSS21][css-text] percentages on text-indent

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 07:25:29 -0500
To: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, www-style@w3.org, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
On 02/11/2015 07:07 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 11/2/15 01:29, fantasai wrote:
>>
>> Spec's wording is precise. Whether it's what we want might be a
>> different question.
>
> The behavior required by the spec appears quite counter-intuitive to me.

It's counter-intuitive to everyone, I think. It's just we seem to have
interop on it, which means we can't change it.

> A brief test indicates that gecko matches the current spec (modulo a bug with dynamic changes that David is just fixing),
> while webkit uses a more intuitive (IMO) [mis]interpretation. Given that browsers currently disagree, it seems there's an
> opportunity to change this without breaking the web.
>
> So please, let's change the spec (and gecko) here to match webkit's behavior.

I don't have Webkit, but Blink matches Firefox. Here's the testcase:
   http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?saved=3413

If Webkit does indeed do the sane thing, then we can change it, but
I've seen several people misinterpret their text-indent testcases
today, so I'm going to make you send screenshots before I believe you. :)

~fantasai