RE: [CSS21][css-text] percentages on text-indent

From: Rossen Atanassov <Rossen.Atanassov@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 00:57:50 +0000
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

Good point, I can see how this can be interpreted either way - containing block of the text content or the block itself.

> It says that percentages refer to the width of the containing block:
> but is that the containing block of the line with the text, or the containing
> block of the block to which text-indent applies (i.e., the first block's
> containing block)?

Our rationale has been that the text-indent is a property effecting the inline content of a block, similar to text-alignment, align-content etc. In this respect resolving the text-indent percentage against the block itself makes the behavior independent of the block's containing block. With that resizing the block's containing block has no effect to text-indent in the case the block has a fixed width.

> Apparently browsers disagree on this.  Making the spec's wording more
> precise seems likely to help.

Totally agree - let's fix it.

Thanks,
Rossen